Monday, June 4, 2012

Faded Florals ♥



Hey all!  Yesterday, I decided to give The Beauty Department's faded florals mani a whirl.  I used their tutorial to make the faded florals, but added my own touch to it by adding leaves.  I also used similar colors instead of all different ones. 

The colors I used for my version shown above are:
Victoria's Secret Cocktail (base color for non white nails)
OPI Don't Touch My Tutu! (white base color)
Sephora by OPI Caliente Coral (florals)
SinfulColors Island Coral (florals)
Julep Niecy (florals)
China Glaze Starboard (leaves)
OPI Pirouette My Whistle (glitter)

Instead of using a creme white base, I chose a sheer white to get a softer look.  On the none floral nails, I also added diluted white and pink, then topped it with OPI PMW.  I actually like the above version better in my pictures, but on me I didn't.  So I took off the non floral nails and revised them to get the look below:





In this version, I used OPI DTMT! topped with China Glaze White Cap for my non floral nails.  I also added a coat of OPI PMW on the floral nails.  By the way, White Cap looks nice layered over any of the OPI NYC Ballet colors.  I originally got the idea to do this after seeing a bottle of Revlon Calla Lily.  I liked how it looked, but resolved not to get it.  From looking at it, I knew I could achieve the bottle color with two polishes I already owned. :)

This was my first attempt at Rebecca Likes Nails's watercolor technique.  It could be better, but I think it turned out alright.  I still want to attempt this faded floral look again with cooler colors and smaller florals.  Hopefully I'll get the hang of diluting the colors out more like Rebecca.  I haven't done an all over watercolor look like hers either!  It's definitely on my to-do list!

What do you think?  Do you like the first version or the second one?  I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)


Liz

38 comments:

  1. Looks like a Monet painting in nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so gorgeous, both versions of the mani!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chichicho chichichoJune 4, 2012 at 6:07 AM

    very very pretty!
    I have never tried victoria secrets nail polish.
    This makes me want to try it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah these are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so amazing!!! I love both versions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! I definitely need to do this mani.

    Kindness is the best accessory,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz - this is beautiful! I have to get well and off so many meds so my nails will grow again. I want to try this. Know what you mean about Cali Lilly vs. White Cap. I have 'em both. If I want silver shimmer I use Cali Lilly - gold I use White Cap. Cali Lilly is a lot more subtil and not as much in your face bling as is White Cap. I like 'em both for different looks

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are so pretty! i love the pink color


    x Jordan
    - Boho Vanity -

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are so pretty! I need to try that tutorial, thanks for sharing it. I like the first version a tiny bit more I think. Great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and so dainty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nails look PERFECT! I love those faded floral nails omg!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, thank you Ruxi! You're too sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Chichicho! I don't know if Victoria's Secret still has nail polish though. The one I'm holding is from 4 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Goldspecknails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, MariJo! I'm glad you liked both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Rebecca! You should definitely give it a try. It's pretty fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no, please get better! I'm sure this will look beautiful on your nails. :) And I didn't realize Calla Lily had silver shimmer! At the store it looked gold. Thanks for letting me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Whimsical Glam! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Angelica! You should give it a try sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Nikki! I'm glad you liked them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Kelly! And definitely give the tutorial a try! It's really fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you, Nail Treasures! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Bonnie! I'm glad you love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ahhhhh i love this!!! I need to see a vid tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wish you had pictures or a video showing how you did the flowers. =/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kellie! I followed The Beauty Department's tutorial on faded florals. The only thing I did differently was add green leaves. The tutorial is linked above in the first paragraph. Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please do not leave any links or inappropriate comments, as they will be deleted. Otherwise, I appreciate and read every single comment, so please don't be shy! :)